Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Almost, but not quite... Genesis 17

My bible is to my left, perched precariously atop several other books. I've been wrestling with this blog post for well over an hour now. I'm starting to get frustrated. I have a meeting in a little over an hour, I'm ready for dinner, and I have lots to do once I finally get home. But this is, more or less, beside the point. I glanced at the text and happened to misread one piece of one verse. The text reads: "I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless. And I will make my covenant between me and you, and will make you exceedingly numerous." What I read -- "walk with me..." I had an image of a Very Important Person squeezing in some face time as she hurried from one engagement to another, perhaps trying to seal the deal. Indeed, in a manner of speaking, that is exactly what God is doing with Abram-soon-to-be-Abraham. God outlines what he intends for Abraham, and stipulates what he is asking in return. True, "walk before me and be blameless" lends a different flavor. It requires worship and devotion, a measure of loyalty. Almost, but not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment