Thursday, February 23, 2012

That tune you can't get out of your head -- Psalm 25

The Asbury Class at FUMC in Girard OH is a phenomenal Sunday School class. It is the class that my mom attends, and I always enjoy going with her whenever I am in town. They begin each class with singing... they've even compiled their own song book! I love how they make requests by the number, and others seem to know what has been requested before even flipping to the page. Just like we used to do in Second Grade, when Mrs. Bishoff would read to us from "Where the Sidewalk Ends." (My favorites? 58, 160 and 27 in case you were wondering.) Anyway... Would that I could remember the number of the particular song that is on my mind at the moment. Suffice it to say that it is based upon Psalm 25, with minor liberties taken for purposes of phrasing: "Unto thee O Lord do I lift up my soul. Unto thee O Lord do I lift up my soul. O my God I trust in thee, I trust in thee. Let me not be ashamed, let not my enemies triumph over me." The only way I can really convey the tune is to say that it is joyful, almost infectious, and one could almost succomb to the urge to add a "cha cha cha" to the end.

Of course, as I encountered Psalm 25 today, it was to the tune of that Sunday School staple. But I found myself at odds with the tone of the melody, in contrast to what could just as easily be read as painful pleas, impassioned entreaties, solemn prayers. Maybe the fact Lent us upon us has something to do with that. Or the fact that is seems such a personal psalm, filled with vulnerability and want. It depends upon, and trusts in, God's grace, whether quiet or loud and noisy.

Last night there was a rather unfortunate typo in the bulletin for the Ash Wednesday service. It was in the responsive call to worship -- "Who redeems your life from the grace..." I was puzzled at first, then realized it was probably supposed to be "from the grave." The 'c' is next to the 'v,' after all. Here's the thing, though... grace has always been a huge theological stumbling block for me. I can explain it to someone else. I certainly believe in it. I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around the whole something for nothing, nothing you can do to earn it, or lose it. So, in a way, there have probably been times when redemption from grace might feel appealing, might even make sense.

And in the spirit of asking questions, and leaving others unanswered... that's all she wrote today.

No comments:

Post a Comment